Thursday, May 21, 2009

And The End of Something Else, too.

My good intentions regarding this blog (and a lot of other things) have fallen apart, a bit.

A couple of weeks ago, my grandmother passed away.

Her final decline (the one from which she would not rebound as she had so many times in the past) began the day after the last time I posted here (the post about Emily).

I was lucky to spend about 15 hours at her side before her spirit moved from this place to another.

I have so much to tell you about. I have posts in my head about the expansive love of Gramma, the way a family unites around death, the loveliness of my mother who shook as I wrapped my arm around her waist, my father with his arm around her shoulders, and walked into Gramma's room knowing she was already gone - and the strength in her voice as she prayed over her mother's body, the brokenness I saw in my sister's eyes and how I tried to comfort a breaking heart but failed, the strained notes of an old hymn - voices choked with sorrow. I might write about some of these moments; I might just hold them in my mind and let them tumble around until they begin to sing a hint of something sweet rather than something painful.

During the time I spent in La Grande this month, I also experienced some frustrating moments that I'm certain I'll write about. I found myself involved in girl drama at a hair salon I'd never been to - and being effectively kicked out of a restaurant.

I have soooo much to tell you.

I'll get to those stories - but starting tomorrow I'm in Portland for classes and Peter's birthday is on Monday so it will be next week before I begin to process those words.

I will post one more time today, though; the words I wrote and read for Gramma this past Saturday as those who loved her gathered together in honor of her life, and death.