Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mission Statement

One of the classes I'm taking this summer is about clarifying your purpose, one's calling in life.  
For the instructor - purpose/calling/mission - are one in the same.

Through a long process of reading and testing and identifying different strengths and weaknesses, I am working on writing a mission statement, a clarifying mantra of sorts.

At first, I thought this exercise was a little silly, but now that I'm reaching the end of it, I see how valuable focus is.  Forcing yourself to really think about who you are and what you've been gifted with enables you to see what kind of change you've been called to effect.

Since I haven't actually written the statement yet, I can't share it with you.  BUT ... it will revolve around these three words.  

Resonate | to have an effect or impact, to influence, to engender support.

Illuminate | to make free from confusion or ambiguity; make clear.  A condition of spiritual awareness; divine illumination.  Tending to increase knowledge or dissipate ignorance.

Educate | to create by training and teaching.